Nighthawks, Mariners Battle to 1-1 Stalemate

Photo by: Samantha Yanofsky
Photo by: Samantha Yanofsky

WATERTOWN, Mass. - The Newbury College women's soccer team battled Mitchell College to a 1-1 stalemate in New England Collegiate Conference (NECC), Saturday afternoon. Junior goalkeeper Elizabeth Fox (Orono, Maine) was stoic in net registered 11 saves in the contest.

Both defenses set the tone of the game early. Senior midfielder Jamie Chernesky (Glensville, N.Y.) and junior forward Corrinn Niski (Oxford, Conn.) opened up the game with back-to-back shot attempts in the third minute only to be rejected by the Mariner defense.

Midway through the period, Mitchell peppered Fox with three consecutive shots-on-goal but the Maine native came up huge each time to keep the game scoreless. Sophomore defender Carly Gibbard (Commack, N.Y.) anchored the Nighthawk defensive line to send the game into the break tied at zero.

When the teams returned to the pitch the start of the second period, the Mariners took a 1-0 advantage 10 minutes into the half. From 15-yards out, in the 55th minute, senior midfielder Alexandra Charles (Massapequa, N.Y.) snuck the ball past the out-stretched dive of Fox into the lower left-hand corner.

Remaining on top for the majority of the rest of the game, it appeared as if the Mariners were going to pick up their second victory of the season. However, the Nighthawks were not going to back down. With just under three-minutes remaining in regulation, Chernesky found sophomore Elizabeth Kia (Hilo, Hawaii) in front of the net, who knocked it just inside the right post to send the game into overtime.  

In the first overtime period, the Nighthawks looked poised to score off a corner from Chernesky but the Mariners were able to knock the ball out into the open field. Seconds later, junior defender Niki Pelliccio (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) found herself wide up 20-yards out but launched the ball high over the net as the game headed into a second overtime period.

Late in the second overtime, Chernesky nearly capped off Senior Night and sent the Nighthawks home with the their fifth victory of the year with just under two minutes remaining. But, unfortunately, it just a bit too high, hitting the crossbar to keep the game tied.

The tie moves Newbury to 4-8-1 and 3-3-1 in conference action while Mitchell moves to 1-11-2 and 1-4-2 against the NECC. The Nighthawks return to the pitch on Wednesday October 29th when they travel up the road to Regis College for a 6:00 p.m. tilt against the Pride. The Mariners will also be back in action on Wednesday when they host Wheelock College at 3:00 p.m.