Feb 16, 2019
Score: Emerson 3, Newbury 0
Records: Emerson Lions (6-2, 0-1 GNAC) ; Newbury Nighthawks (2-8, 1-0 NECC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 16, 2019
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Piorkowski added eight digs, two service aces, and two blocks to his 12 kills.
- Raagas paced all players with 14 assists, with teammate Josh Elliot (Swedesboro, N.J.) sitting right behind him with 14 assists.
- Jacob DiTore (Salem, N.H.) totaled six digs on the defensive end for Emerson.
- Newbury was led by Rory Dobbins who totaled five kills. Pedro Juan De Jesus was right behind him with four.
- De Jesus also led the Nighthawks in assists with seven.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped out to an early first set lead, opening up the lead to nine at 14-5 on a Win Kittivatcharpong (Bangkok, Thailand) kill.
- The Lions held their first set lead, not letting the Nighthawks back into the set. Emerson controlled from start to finish, closing out the set on a Samuel Willinger(Golden Beach, Fla.) kill. The Lions won 25-13.
- Newbury came on stronger in the second set, opening up a 7-5 lead just 12 points in.
- After Emerson got the serve back, Mark Piorkowski went on a 7-0 run, bringing Emerson back in the lead at 12-7 and forcing a Nighthawk timeout.
- Emerson built on their lead from here, opening up to nine at 20-11.
- A small Newbury run threatened Emerson's lead, but the Lions closed out the set on an attack error by the Nighthawks, 25-20.
- The third set was much of the same for the Lions, who opened up a five-point lead on a Matt Connolly (Haverhill, Mass.) kill at 14-9.
- The Linos held this lead, closing out the match with the set ending in the same score as the first set. A pair of Piorkowski kills closed out the match for Emerson, 3-0.
- The Nighthawks next scheduled game was set for Tuesday night at Dean at 7:00 p.m. but due to a scheduling conflict with NECC Basketball Playoffs, the game will have to be moved. If the game is moved beyond this week, the Nighthawks will return on Friday, hosting Lasell College at 7:00 p.m.