- Score: MIT 2, Newbury College 0
- Records: MIT (2-0-0), Newbury College (0-1-0)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: Two goals by MIT junior Ivan Jutamulia (Berkeley, Calif.) and a shutout performance between the pipes by classmate Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.) led the Engineers to a 2-0 non-conference victory over Newbury College on Saturday night in Cambridge.
- 6th minute (5:27) – MIT 1, Newbury 0 – Jutamulia gathered the ball off a great cross by Justin Cordero(Chino Hills, Calif.) and a one-touch pass by Wesley Woo (Palo Alto, Calif.) and tucked it into the bottom right corner of the net to give the Engineers an early lead.
- 76th minute (75:43) – MIT 2, Newbury 0 – 70 minutes after his first goal, Jutamulia found the back of the net for the second time when he put back a deflected shot by Joshua Wilson (West Chester, Pa.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT has started the year 2-0 for the first time since 2015 after defeating UMass Boston yesterday and Newbury tonight.
- Cowham made five saves in net for the Engineers to improve to 2-0 between the pipes, while Newbury keeper Chris Tran (0-1) stopped the ball three times.
- MIT held a 14-8 advantage in shots and a 4-1 differential in corner kicks. Tonight's game was also very physical as it yielded 50 fouls and seven yellow cards.
- The Nighthawks travel to Massachusetts Maritime Academy on Monday for a 6:00 p.m. kick. MIT returns to action on Wednesday when the Engineers host UMass Dartmouth in another non-conference match beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Release courtesy of MIT athletics.