Score: Newbury College, 69; Emmanuel College, 90
Records: Newbury College Nighthawks (2-3); Emmanuel College Saints (4-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2018
THE LEAD: Emmanuel's senior guard Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) finished the evening with a career record 16 rebounds on his way to a double-double with 17 points against the Newbury College Nighthawks as the Saints collected their second victory in a row, 90-69, on the Andy Yosinoff court on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
· The Saints started the game with the hot hand as freshman guard Giovanni Ciampa (Tewksbury, Mass.) and junior guard Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.) made three quick shots from behind the arc, but the Nighthawks were able to keep it close with strong play in the paint by sophomore forward Tim Deng, 21-14, ten minutes into the half.
· EC's senior guard Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill Mass.) was able to extend the lead to 13 points after making back to back three-pointers, but back to back field goals by Deng and senior Omar Williams (Queens, N.Y.) closed the lead back down 29-20 with six minutes left in the half.
· The remainder of the half was controlled by the Saints, with senior guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) going off for eight late half points to propel EC into the half ahead of the Nighthawks, 46-25.
· Newbury attempted to cut the lead as Williams scored six points within two minutes, but the Nighthawks got into early foul trouble allowing the Saints to keep a healthy lead, 62-46.
· Sophomore guard Zachary Cruisafulli (Hatfield, Mass.) of EC took control through the middle of the half, scoring ten points during seven minutes of play to extend the lead back to 21 points, Emmanuel ahead 77-56.
· Emmanuel's reserves closed out the game to push the Saints to their second victory in a row, 90-69.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
· Ruffen of the Saints led the evening with a season-high in points, finishing with his third double-double of the year with 17 points and 16 rebounds.
· The Saints were able to shoot a 40.6 percentage on the night from behind the arc in comparison to the Nighthawks 32.1 percent.
· Four of the Saints starters were able to score double-digit points, while Deng and Almando Marinez (Lawrence, Mass.) were the only Nighthawks to go the same combining for 26 points.
· The Saints finished the night with a season-high in rebounds totaling 56, beating their previous record of 52 against Dean College.
· Newbury will be heading on the road on Saturday, December 8th for their first conference matchup of the year against New England College at 3:30 p.m.
· Emmanuel has the rest of the week to prepare for College of the Fenway rival Wentworth Institute of Technology on Saturday, December 8th at 1 p.m. at WIT.
Release courtesy Emmanuel College