BOSTON – The Salem State women's volleyball team defeated Newbury, 3-0, inside Regan Gymnasium Saturday morning. The Vikings took the non-conference match by set scores 25-10, 25-17 and 25-16.
SCORE: Salem State 3, Newbury 0
RECORDS Salem State (5-4) | Newbury (1-11)
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was all Salem State from the start, as the Vikings rolled in the first, 25-10, secured the second, 25-17, and locked up the match thanks to a 25-16 third frame win.
SET 1 RECAP (25-10, Salem State)
- Salem jumped out to an early 4-1 lead before Newbury tied it up at 6-6.
- The Nighthawks could not break up the Vikings run as the visitors rolled to a 25-10 victory.
SET 2 RECAP (25-17, Salem State)
- Salem bolted out to an early 10-2 lead before a Newbury timeout.
- Newbury would close the gap to within five but could not overcome the Vikings, dropping the set 25-17.
SET 3 RECAP (25-16, Salem State)
- Newbury cut Salem Sates lead to 6-4 after a Marlen Reynoso kill.
- The Vikings rallied a 6-1 run to grab a 12-5 advantage.
- Newbury couldn't make up ground as Salem State locked up the set, 25-16.
Newbury travels to Norwich University on Wednesday, September 20th for a 7:00 P.M. first serve.