BOSTON – The Suffolk women's volleyball team defeated Newbury, 3-1, inside Regan Gymnasium Saturday morning. The Rams took the non-conference match by set scores 11-25, 25-2, 25-18 and 25-8.
SCORE: Suffolk 3, Newbury 1
RECORDS Suffolk (3-3) | Newbury (1-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Newbury grabbed the first set, 25-11, but it was all Suffolk from there as the Rams rolled in the second, 25-2, secured the third, 25-18, and locked up the match thanks to a 25-8 fourth frame win.
SET 1 RECAP (25-11, NEWBURY)
- Newbury jumped out to an early 11-3 lead before a Suffolk timeout.
- The Rams could not break up the Nighthawks run as the visitors rolled to a 25-11 victory.
SET 2 RECAP (25-2, SUFFOLK)
- Once the score struck 4-2 the Nighthawks would not score the remainder of the way.
- Behind Lombardo at the service line, the Rams piled on 20 unanswered points including nine aces from the junior co-captain to seal the frame, 25-2, and level the match.
SET 3 RECAP (25-18, SUFFOLK)
- The score tied four times with the lead changing once in Newbury's favor at 6-5 thanks to a block solo by Stephanie Rheaume.
- Lombardo equalized the set at 6-all with a monster kill.
- The Rams rallied a 3-1 run and went on to outscore the Nighthawks 7-2 to grab a 16-9 advantage.
- Newbury couldn't make up ground as each team scored nine points apiece down the stretch and Suffolk locked up the set, 25-18.
SET 4 RECAP (25-8, SUFFOLK)
- The Rams ran out to an 11-2 advantage and put on cruise control from there, holding the Nighthawks to just six more points the rest of the way, while tallying 14 of their own to secure the set, 25-8, and the match
Newbury closes tri-match action this afternoon versus Salem State at 1 p.m.