Make It Four Years In A Row

Make It Four Years In A Row

BOSTON – There is something about Senior Days that senior defender Tim Chatigny (Pelham, Mass.) likes. As a junior he scored the game-winner in overtime against Lesley University then in his own senior day he registered a pair of goals to help the Nighthawks blank New England Collegiate Conference (NECC) foe Wheelock College, 8-0.

Chatigny netted the first and last goals of the night for the Nighthawks.  He put them on the board when fellow classmate, forward Andi Maska (Roslindale, Mass.) lifted a cross into the box that he converted at the 17:36 mark for a 1-0 edge.  Chatigny also capped the scoring at 71:43 of the second half on a feed from sophomore forward Nicholas Cataldo (Walpole, Mass.) for his third goal of the year. 

Junior midfielder Shaundize Moosavizadeh (Winchester, Mass.) tallied his 12th and 13th goals of the season, placing him third amongst the conference leaders. Freshman forward Rodriquez Pierre (Somerville, Mass.) found Moosavizadeh late in the first period to give Newbury the 3-0 advtange. His second gave the Nighthawks a 6-0 cushion with just over two minutes left in the half on a pass from Chatigny.

In addition to his two goals, Chatigny registered the first of two assists on the evening with a cross from the right side to Pierre at the 32:21 mark for Pierre's third goal of the season and Newbury's second of the night.  Sophomore forward Gerard Font-Raventos (Barcelona, Spain) punched in his second score of the year on an assist from Pierre at 35:28, before Moosavizadeh fed sophomore forward Marco Carvajal (Marblehead, Mass.) for his first goal of the season with just 1:47 to go in the first stanza and a 5-0 margin.

Sophomore midfielder Victor Rua Jr. (Pawtucket, RI) later picked up his first goal of the season as well at the 55:12 mark of the second half to give the Nighthawks a 7-0 lead.

Junior keeper Jeremy Bergeron (Fitchburg, MA) was spectacular in goal on the night. Early in the contest with the game still stalled at zero, Bergeron made a tremendous diving save to keep the Wildcats off the board. But it was not just Bergeron; much credit needs to be given towards the defense who were instrumental in preserving the shut-out, making huge plays on the ball in the early moments of the game.

The Nighthawks improve to 6-9-1 overall and 5-1-1 in league play, while the Wildcats fall to 0-13 and 0-7.  The match was played after being rescheduled twice and moved to Winsor Field with Newbury remaining as the home team.  The contest was also delayed 30 minutes due to lightning and was played during a mix of rain and snow.

Newbury improves to 6-9-1 and 5-1-1 in conference action with the victory while Wheelock falls to 0-13 and 0-7 in the NECC. The Nighthawks return to the pitch on Sunday October 30th when they travel to Cambridge, Mass. to face rival Lesley University at 2:30 p.m. at Buckingham, Browne and Nichols.

Game Notes:
It was the fourth consecutive year the Newbury won on Senior Day.

- Photo by: Samantha Yanofsky